Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Florida Roadtrip - Day 1 and 2
I haven't updated in a while because I was away on a road trip to Florida to visit my bestfriend.

I couldn't mention it in this photoblog because my bestfriend reads this and I didn't want to ruin the surprise. She didn't know I was coming. Now I'm back in New York and I have a lot of pictures from the trip. I documented the entire experience through pictures and journal entries. I'll post one a day for the rest of this week.

It was the longest road trip I ever took in my entire life...


*****

September 23rd, 2006 - Day 1


At 12:00 P.M. Saturday morning, Eric gave me a final goodbye kiss before heading off to work. "Stay safe", He whispered "Be careful...it's a long drive, don't push yourself. I know you want to drive 22 hours straight into Florida, but if you need to stop. Please stop. I'm going to miss you so much..."

He held me against him so tightly as though he would never see me again, he touched my face with both hands and gave me a final kiss. I assured him I would return alive and that we would see eachother again in a week. He still appeared worried and didn't want to let go of my hand. I wished he could come with me...

At 12:45 My friend Heather pulled up the driveway. I threw all my luggage into the trunk and jumped into the car. We picked up her cousin, Michael and we hit the road by 1:15.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(picture taken by Michael)

I was filled with excitement, sitting indianstyle in the backseat with the essentials resting on my lap.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Sunglasses, Energy drink and a cellphone to keep in touch with my family and Eric.

Yes..that's right...I have a cellphone now. I actually caved in and purchased one a few days before this trip. After 12 years of hating Cellphones with a passion, I realized I couldn't go a week without having contact with Eric. It was time to join the rest of civilization and buy one. Stranger things HAVE happened....

After hours of sitting in the car with the windows open, listening to music, talking and laughing..landmarks seemed to whizz by in blur. Signs, lights, cars... The steady sway of the car caused me to drift off into sleep a few times.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I also watched the landscape change..

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Eventually the sunset...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(photo taken by Michael)


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(photo taken by Michael)

We hit North Carolina...the Greeting sign wasn't too impressive

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


South Carolina on the other hand...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


We made a stop at 2:30 A.M. at South of the Border

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



It was empty...but the lights were still flashing. It looked like an abandoned amusement park with huge 10 foot statues of Mexicans towering overhead

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


We wandered around. Michael couldn't figure out if this shop was open or closed...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Eventually at 3:30 A.M., we realized we couldn't make it the whole way. We hadn't even hit Georgia yet... but Michael was swerving off the road and Heather was nodding off. I could barely keep my eyes open. We stopped at a Motel 8 on the side of the road. The old woman behind the reception desk had a drawling southern accent and moved as slow as a snail. Eventually we received a key for a motel room...

The bed was so comfortable... after Michael finished playing his Bloody Mary games in the dark in a hotel room filled with Mirrors, we all crashed.

September 24th, 2006 - Day 2

We woke up just in time to check out...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


We threw our luggage back into the car and hit the road again at 10 A.M.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Finally we reached the promised land...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The weather was warm...the palm trees swayed in the slight breeze. I felt anticipation welling up in my stomach because I knew I would be seeing my bestfriend soon. We had reached our destination and her house was right around the corner.

When we arrived, she was still sleeping. We entered her bedroom. I sat on the edge of the bed in the dark room and gently woke her up. She didn't register it was me until she turned on the lights.

It was so amazing to see her again and every minute of that long road trip was worth it. To see her surprised smile, hug her and be reunited with my bestfriend again after 6 years!

Once she got over the shock, we all went out for dinner. My bestfriend, her cousins, Heather, and Michael.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Afterwards we all drank Jagerbombs, laughed and talked until the early morning hours. It felt like a dream. I had to keep pinching myself to confirm that it was real. I really did make it to Florida and I really am seeing my bestfriend again.

Tomorrow we're heading to Orlando to go to Pleasure Island and Disney world...

To be continued....
 
posted by Clarity25 at 1:47 PM |


11 Comments:


At October 03, 2006, Blogger Brandy 

OHHH! I'm so glad your trip was great! And that you surprised your friend! Can't wait to read the rest of the week!

At October 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I love roadtrips. Last time we went down route 66 and we took pictures at every state line. I look forward to reading more from your trip. Welcome back!

At October 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Hey, I want the full-sized version of that awesome green tunnel photo. :)

Email it to me. smiletenshi_@_gmail.com

At October 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Welcome Back Clarity. :-)

At October 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

You actually stopped at South of the Boarder? Wow! No one actually stops! Oh, and it's always that empty - 2:30am or 2:30pm!

At October 04, 2006, Blogger Kathleen 

I love roadtrips!!! And I'm so glad you have a cell phone. Soon you won't know what you did w/o one. I know because I was the same as you and refused to get one.

At October 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Ahhh, I remember driving to Florida. And how we BEGGED my parents to stop at South Of The Border. I'm so glad you got to see your best friend, and I can't wait to read about the rest of your trip!

At October 04, 2006, Blogger Holden 

(I thought you were too sad to post anything)

Your pictures of florida is making me itch for a holiday. Too bad that's not gonna happen until maybe more 10 weeks =(

And I love that picture your friend Michael took!

Post more pictures soon! =)

At October 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Take this with the levity in which it was intended.... You guys are total road trip wimps! Twice I have driven to Mississippi with a friend (a 38 hour trip) and we drove straight through with just 2 drivers. So, only because of that do I get to call you a wimp. However, I'm glad that you put safety first because I need some Clarity in my life (double entendre intentional). Also, when we took our first trip to Mississippi, I made us stop at every state line to take a picture... Fabulous fun. Also, love the roadside kitsch (sp?).

At October 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Oh, my dear, you're one of the most wonderful people I have ever met...

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. Greetings to Eric and big hugs to you both! =0)

At October 07, 2006, Blogger Mike B 

So I'm at the end of the first week of my new job and thinking about running away to Florida ... and then I read your posts here and it almost pushes me out the door. I did a couple of New York to Miami and New York to Key West road trips back when I lived in the States, and really did enjoy them. Glad you did too. I guess the closest thing to it on this side of the ocean would be Frankfut to Barcelona. BTW, great shots, as always.



<body>