Friday, August 25, 2006
Spider
Arachnophobia is a specific phobia, a fear of spiders. With an estimated half of all women, and one fourth of all men in the United States, it is among the most common of phobias.

"...Recent studies of spider phobia indicate that fear of spiders is closely associated with the disease-avoidance response of disgust. It is not immediately clear how spiders might have become associated with this response, although examination of the relevant historical literature does indicate a close association between spiders and illness in European cultures from tenth century onward. The development of this association between spiders and illness appears to be closely linked to the many devastating and inexplicable epidemics that crossed Europe from the Middle Ages onwards. Spiders were found in great numbers in the same areas of the house where rats lived. The fleas on these rats were actually the carriers of the plague. Not the spiders but the fear was passed down through our culture."

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Eric doesn't understand why the sight of that spider (actual size) caused goosebumps to shoot up my arms this morning. I couldn't stop the initial impulse to shrink away when I laid eyes on it. It was too close for comfort and twitching it's legs. Not the first thing I want to see when I first wake up and roll over in bed.

"oh my god...it's huge..", I whispered. I rubbed at my upper arms. I felt like I had to brush off invisible spiders that were beginning to crawl over me.

"It's just a cute Daddy Long Legs, they're harmless"

"that's not cute...look it has fangs"

Eric just laughed. He reached over and let it crawl rapidly onto the palm of his hand.

I jumped back and pressed my body against the wall. "Don't you dare come near me with that thing!"

"What...like this?"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

That was my morning.

I don't understand why the sight of any spider evokes terror inside of me and causes no reaction within Eric. His expression doesn't change... He's fearless. I wish I could be the same.

It's pouring right now. The cats love to sit on the windowsill and listen to the rain splashing on the leaves outside. They press their face against the screen. Fiona is making bird sounds again...


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


 
posted by Clarity25 at 3:38 PM |


13 Comments:


At August 25, 2006, Blogger Sarcomical 

oh, SO not cool to stick that spider in my face. i got chills on my backbone.

ewwwww

At August 25, 2006, Blogger Brandy 

Actual size? Really?
I'd freak.
And if anyone came at me with it I'd cry, literally run away and cry and not go near that person.
I've done it before.

And Im not even afraid of spiders.

We had an ant infestation this week and this morning in a half asleep stupor I freaked cos I thought my face was covered in ants. (It was my hair touching my face.)

At August 25, 2006, Blogger The Queen 

I am going to try and forget that you posted that picture of that GIGANTIC, NASTY SHIT. OH MY GOD.

Why does a cat chatter when he sees a bird?
When a cat kills prey, it bites down quickly several times. The "chatter" is simulating the cat's behavior at the time of attack. Alternatively (according to a visitor): it's pure and simple frustration. When a cat is stalking or killing a bird, they're almost invariably completely silent. It's when they are shut off from the prey that they chatter.

At August 25, 2006, Blogger warcrygirl 

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! Thanks for the freak out, Clarity. What a way to start your day.

At August 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Holy shit! Clarity, Don't post stuff like that!!! I have the heebie jeebies now!! *SHIVERS*

At August 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I have to laugh.. I encourage Riley to pick spiders up and to NOT harm them (of course, we live in an area where there aren't any poisonous ones, it would be different otherwise). We always "set them free" so they can find their families or whatever. Kent, on the other hand, smooshes them on first sight and FREAKS out if one gets anywhere near him.

A daddy-long-legs (like the one in the photo you posted) is completely harmless and even though it's in the same class as spiders, it's not actually a spider. There's a site here that explains the difference.

Don't let them scare you - you could crush them in battle. :)

At August 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

FUCK that's hideous.

Anywho.

Find something he's afraid of now and make sure to dange it in his face.

Like... hire a birthday clown if he's afraid of those. Even if it isn't his birthday. Have it waiting for him in your bed.

Tell him I said he's mean.

At August 26, 2006, Blogger Holden 

i scream when i see roaches.. worst, house lizards.

EeeeYUCKKKKKK.

At August 26, 2006, Blogger Stacia 

My husband is terrified of spiders, but they don't bother me at all. Actually, every guy I've ever dated hated spiders and my dad and brother hate them too. I always thought it was men who hated them and the women who had to protect the men from them. But, that's still not how I would want to wake up!

At August 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I almost always jump when I see some kind of insect or spider because they always seem to pop out of no where. And you just shouldn't be sneaking up on people when you're that ugly. I'm just saying. Anyway, I'm deathly afraid of potato bugs. Oh sweet cracker sandwich, those things are the spawn of Satan. I'm not sure if you get those where you are, but count yourself lucky if you don't. Ugh.

At August 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Nono, Clarity, spiders are good voodoo. Spiders eat flies and mosquitos and all kinds of things that would muck around in nastiness and then poo on your food. Spiders = friends. :)

At August 26, 2006, Blogger Kathleen 

I was going to tell you how spiders are good, especially daddy long legs which eat mosquitos but somebody else beat me to it. On the other hand, if someone picked one up and tried to get it close to me I'd tell them in no uncertain terms how wrong that was of them.

At August 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Ugh, that wasn't a fun thing to see when scrolling down, I once was given a model spider to build to reduce my phobia, stupid psychologist friend of the family, I wouldn't even touch the box because it had a picture of the fully built spider on it! Oh and how funny, my german boyfriend calls those big long legged spiders 'daddy long legs' as well but here we have always called crane flies, daddy long legs, you know those freaky flying things that try and fly towards your face, we have some quite stupid arguments over what to call the damn things when I am screaming for either him or the cat to come deal with them!



<body>