Tuesday, June 20, 2006
World Cup 2006
When I was living in Germany, I really missed American Cable. I moved to the country without knowing the language, so everything was gibberish and foreign to me. We only have three channels and all of it in German. I felt isolated from pop culture and missed my favorite shows.

Every time I visited my family in the U.S., I would buy a six pack of blank VHS tapes and just record everything to watch later in Germany. I called it the "Germany Survival series". I also bought English DVD boxsets to bring with me.

Now here I am living in America again and I rarely ever turn on the television. I have no desire to sit down in front of the tube and I don't really care what's in the T.V. guide.

Basically the only time Eric and I even turn on the T.V. at all is to catch the Soccer World Cup.

This morning Eric was ecstatic and cheering. Germany won their third game and are first in their group. A 3-0 win.

Before Europe, I could have cared less about soccer and I knew nothing about the sport. Now 4 years later, I'm a fan. I'm completely pulled in and cheering with Eric. I wish I was in Germany for this. They scream on the streets, Run with flags, set off fireworks, honk their horns and yell out their bedroom windows. Everyone is watching and it's all they talk about on the news.

Here in America, there is just one lone page that mentions the game in the sports section of the newspaper. Most people don't seem to care or even acknowledge this event at all.

The best game of the World Cup (in my opinion) was the Australia versus Japan. I was leaping off the sofa and thrilled when Australia won.

Edit: Okay, Okay..I acknowledge that the America vs. Italy game was exciting to watch. It was definitely brutal and a full out war. High entertainment. America did fight very hard. I just thought it was a little dirty. I expected my home team to play better, perhaps my expectations were just too high. I still haven't given up hope that America can turn things around.

In a half hour England is playing. It's Beckham time....

Soccer is known to be a very physical and high contact sport. I'll leave off with some pictures that Janet sent me via E-mail. They had me and Eric cracking up, I thought I'd share these great soccer moments.






Is anyone else following the World Cup this year?
 
posted by Clarity25 at 12:39 PM |


19 Comments:


At June 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Hi Clarity. While I cannot claim to be following it closely, I do watch the games when I am able and I have been thrilled and amazed, and not at all embarassed by what I have seen of the American team. Come on, US v Italy was epic, save the poor officiating! I think good soccer is like watching masters of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Anything can happen at any moment, and despite the low score (about which so many Americans complain and assign boredom) I find soccer riveting. If there is one player who would personify the embarassment of potential versus reality, I would say that would be Ronaldo of Brazil. Brazil is an obviously great team and as one of their best and most reputed stars he has lowered himself to appearing bloated and sluggish. Bad form. Hey, hope you and Eric and the family are doing well. Oh, and I've met Beckenbauer.

At June 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Hi - I've been reading you for a while, but I've never commented and probably would have never commented. But, I have been following the World Cup closely, my husband is a huge soccer fan and used to play at the college level. He's taken off from work on the weekdays that the US plays and records the other games. While, their loss to the Czech Republic was a disappointment, and they certainly didn't play well, I wasn't embarassed. They lost to the number 2 team in the world. The game against Italy on Saturday was amazing. They managed to end in a tie (against a team they have never beaten) in spite of one of the worst calls by the ref my husband and I had ever seen. Although, I also think the first red card was uncalled for and wouldn't have been a red card in any other game, but my husband disagrees. I can't wait to watch them on Thursday and even if they lose and/or Italy loses, I don't think any of them have anything to be embarassed about. I'm not usually a big soccer fan (unless I'm actually at the game) but I've really enjoyed watching this year and I'll keep watching even when the US team is out. I do agree with you about the Australia/Japan game though, that was one of the best so far. - Carrie

At June 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I'm watching the world cup too. I was really saddened by the American teams performance against Czech. I think they put up a good fight against Italy. (even if the only goal we won was put in by the Italians themselves. lol!) But I HAVE NOT given up hope. :)

Oh and for Eric, I will say "GO GERMANY GO!!" If America gets kicked out, I will be voting for Germany! Woot!

At June 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

America played great! I wasn't embarrassed at all! They kicked some serious ass against Italy!

BTW Great pics!! I'm going to link this page and send it to some of my friends.

At June 20, 2006, Blogger Ryan 

I'm watching it - but mostly only the American games. We should have won the last one! I actually watch them on Univision, instead on ABC. Is that wierd? Lol. I just think the coverage is better. :)

At June 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that soccer has never been a wildly popular sport in the US, even though nearly every other country in the world goes crazy over it. I don't know why that is, but it seems to be slowly changing. I haven't been watching, but I don't usually watch sports other than baseball anyway. I just don't have much interest in watching most sports, although I used to love playing soccer in high school. And those pics are hysterical!

At June 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Of course I'm watching! And I'm highly embarassed for Les Bleus. Zidane is a disgrace. And we don't have my beloveds: Christophe Dugarry or Emanuel Petit. I'm rooting for Malta from here on out.

At June 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Go spain!!!!!!

((((((WORLD CUP 2006)))))

At June 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I think I must be the only person NOT watching, haha. All sports bore me unless I'm right there at the game. I did enjoy the photos you posted, though. :)

At June 20, 2006, Blogger Nightmare 

If only I had time.

I sent you an email concerning the "surprise" and I want to let you know here that it is amazing, and my Dad broke down in tears. I also learned that when he got home they rearranged the whole living area to put the drawing in a high place of honor that it deserves.

Thank you you are a wonderful person and a phenomanal(sp)artist. I extend to you by deepest thanks and if there is ANYTHING...and I mean ANYTHING, (except for the liver, it is shot as is) I can do for you, or help you in any way please do not hesitate to ask.

Your Humble servent,
M

At June 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

We've been slightly hockey crazy here in NC lately, but now that we're in possession of some new hardware there we can turn our attention to soccer. I'm sure I'll enjoy watching it!

At June 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Oh...that's wrong. Just wrong...! The one photo begs the question: is better to have your head burried-up your own ass or someone else's?

At June 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

lol those pictures were funny :) I'ma show them to my hubby and sister, they're gonna be crackin up too.

At June 22, 2006, Blogger Kathleen 

I tried to post yesterday but it wouldn't let me. ;-(

Yup, watching the World Cup every day at the gym. I pick a different country for every game to root for. I always seem to be rooting for the country opposite of everybody else in the gym.

I've been wearing my hemisphere earrings every day in honor of the World Cup (Eastern and Western hemispheres). I'm afraid the next four days are going to be a wash though, because I'll be in Cleveland watching my beloved Champ Cars.

At June 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I love me some Soccer and actually I think Germany will take it. I'm not just being nice but they are my favorite to watch. Plus they are handsome. I can't wait til tomorrow. I emailed you and you never emaiel me back!!!!!

At August 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
» » »

At February 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

Very nice site! » » »

At March 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

This is very interesting site... »



<body>