Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Yesterday and Today
Today was a beautiful day. Eric and I went into town for a cup of coffee at the cornershop bookstore. We saw a book on clearance filled with old images of this little town we live in. I was absolutely captivated by the images. I've always been fascinated by historical pictures and looking back at how things used to be in another time.

I was also curious to see just how much things had changed.

"well, lets get this book and then take a walk through town. We'll compare how things are now to how they were back then. It would be interesting to see the subtle and not so subtle differences." Eric suggested.

So we did.

and of course, I took pictures.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



There were differences in the store names, some of the architecture. But some things haven't changed much at all from the late 1800's!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The horse and buggy carts were replaced with automobiles..

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

What's interesting is that if you look closely, the Haus der Technik building has a banner on it celebrating the 150 year anniversary.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



It's so strange to be standing there in the same location an old photograph was taken. You look at the changes and it's like a trip through time. A glimpse of how things once were. It gave me chills.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



It's amazing how in only 3 and a half years. This town has become a real home to me. Since I walk everywhere, I know it inside and out. I'm attached to this town, the memories I have and the feelings it brings out.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



I'm going to miss it here

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



I took this photo standing where the tree with those people in it once stood. Obviously it was chopped down years ago and replaced with a small children's park.

I have a couple more images that I might post in a new entry. Also a few people have asked me about the name of the town I live in. I kind of skirted over the question for privacy reasons and because I don't want this personal photoblog to come up in Google searches when someone types in the town's name. It's not a big city like Berlin or Frankfurt. I haven't met another blogger that currently lives in this town. I know some USED to live here, but it's hard to find anyone else.

But I'll give you a hint. There is a now-famous and very unusual conspiracy theory surrounding the town in Germany I live in. I'll share the article in my next entry. It's kind of funny, since my blog proves it wrong.

Tomorrow we're taking a road trip, we'll be back on Friday night. During that trip we'll be going to the American Embassy for our Green Card interview.

Wish us luck

And thank you to everyone that ordered a Charcoal portrait (previous entry) or expressed interest in ordering one. That completely made my day and helps us more than you know. Thank you so much for reaching out.
 
posted by Clarity25 at 10:04 AM |


16 Comments:


At May 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

That is awesome...like going in a time machine...awesome! I love history like that. To envision myself in times past. I got that feel living in New England...knowing that is where this countries roots start. And how old the houses and buildings are...I just love it. I am dying to make it to Europe and see where my ancestors were from...Bingen, Germany. (I think thats the name):D

At May 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

LUCK!!! time infinity stamps it no erasies.

Its amazing how some things have changed just a tiny bit in your town. Its lovely that almost all the buildings are still standing, it makes me marvel at such craftmanship.

And good luck! You'll do great!!

At May 17, 2006, Blogger Kathleen 

I absolutely love old pictures like that, especially when compared to pictures of today. Mom gave me a book like that of old Detroit. It just makes me sad since most of the old buildings (and by old I'm not talking from the 1800s) are gone. Detroit is so bad about saving its history, and it's just wrong.

At May 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Good luck!!!!!!!

At May 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Wow, great pics. As always. :) Good luck with everything!

At May 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I think I know what town you live in because I know the conspiracy theory you speak of. the castle you posted also looked familiar.

I'm curious if I'm right! Fascinating before and after pictures! Good luck with everything!

At May 17, 2006, Blogger GoingLoopy 

Good luck with the interview...I'm glad you stayed for it. :)

At May 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I can't believe how little has changed in all those years! I did the same in my town a few years back and mine is unrecognisable from 80 years ago. Germans obviously have more respect and reverance for the buildings of the past than Brits. In Manchester everything old is being pulled down and replaced by concrete and glass executive flats! Good luck at the interview!

At May 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Good luck w/the interview! I loved the pictures. I find it so interesting to look at old pictures of the place I live in now. I'm obsessed with finding a picture of my house from around the time it was built! I'm interested in hearing about this conspiracy theory that surrounds your town.

At May 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

As an Urban Planner, these photos are incredible and appreciated-- just slight architectural difference but years later, the areas are similarly being used today as in the past almost to the point where people are standing, sitting or riding in the same places. Very cool (that is a technical planning term.)!

At May 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Clarity, strange question, and I know you're dealing with a lot right now, but would you consider doing the charcoals at a later time ... like months from now?! I, too, am very strapped for cash, but I would LOVE to have one of these done for my parents for Christmas (by which time I'm hoping to have money!). You have an amazing talent and I'd love to have something like this for them. I've left an email, if you have time, let me know!

At May 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Great photos Clarity...its amazing how some things changed so much but you can still see the outline of what was once there.
I hope the interview went well today.

At May 19, 2006, Blogger christina 

Ah yes, now I know where you live. I thought I had seen you mention it in passing on someone else's blog. I won't tell though. :-)

At May 19, 2006, Blogger jkirlin 

This is a spectacular post. VERY well done. Good luck with things. Now I have to go hunt up all pictures of my city. :)

At March 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

Enjoyed a lot! » »

At March 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »



<body>