Saturday, May 20, 2006
Goodbye Germany...
Our Green Card interview went smoothly without any problems. It turns out that it was not only important that I was there with him for this, It was entirely necessary! We needed to sign some documents together in front of a witness and raise our right hands to swear that all the information we provided during our interview was the truth.

I would have had to fly back into Germany if I took that flight last week. I made the right decision when I opted to stay.

Eric will be receiving the documents he needs to travel into the U.S. in two weeks.

I have a ticket home. I'm leaving tomorrow for America!

******

Here are a few more pictures of our town...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


We found a picture of the street we used to live on...


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


But I was confused when I saw it. "That can't be right!", I said "All the buildings look entirely different! Our apartment building doesn't look the same at all. How can that be?"

But opon further investigation we found THIS photo taken in the 1940's. It's the same street from a different angle.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Apparently our street had been bombed and rebuilt in the 1950's. The only thing that remained standing was the church...

I passed our old flat today. It was so strange not having the key to the front door and seeing that someone else now lives in our apartment.

I slowly walked by.

*****

But regardless, I've had a good time here in Germany in this wonderful town cloaked in mystery.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



But to quote Dorothy. "There's no place like home"

This chapter is over and a new chapter is beginning.

Goodbye Germany.

If you ever decide to visit this town out of curiosity, be sure to go to the Cafe Wunderbar. Sit on the faded leather booth seat in the back underneath the chandelier. That's our favorite hang out cafe and our favorite spot to sit. Have a cup of coffee for me and order the "Einfache fruhstuck"
 
posted by Clarity25 at 10:50 AM |


11 Comments:


At May 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Maybe you're just appeasing a sleeping dragon by living there...

Gah. None of that makes any sense.

Of course, there was also the theory that the reason the American Indians didn't see the pilgrims in their big ships until it was too late was because they couldn't yet fathom ships, so they therefore couldn't SEE them...

Possibly, we don't see what we aren't ready to see.

At May 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Beautiful pics! I like your before and after series.

What a bizarre theory about your town. Thats kind of fun tho! Not many people can say they spent so many years in a town that doesn't exist!

Good luck! Best wishes! Have a safe flight!!

At May 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I know that conspiracy theory! My uncle lives in the same town that you and Eric live in.

I have a fun website to share about it. I'll send it to you by E-mail.

At May 23, 2006, Blogger Holden 

where'd ya get all those old pictures from??

I especially like the one about your town being bombed and ACTUALLY having a picture of it!

cool. =)

At May 23, 2006, Blogger Lyndon 

Glad after reading about your struggles to get a green card, that you finally have a happy ending!

At May 23, 2006, Blogger Kathleen 

I am so confused. Where is the story/conspiracy of which everybody speaks? Did I miss a link?

I love the then/now pics series. So cool!

At May 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I will miss your photos of Germany :{ But I know the ones from NY will be just as fab! How erie to walk around you old street now that you have seen what happened to it in the past...but they rebuilt...moved on...and survived. How metaphoric for you! I finished one of my poems about carry my daughter... :~)

At January 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

At March 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »

At March 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous 

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » »



<body>