We're finally finished with this move, It's all behind us now...

I took this photo from our bedroom window on Tuesday morning. The last day in our flat.

Image hosting by Photobucket



It's strange how different an apartment can look once it's entirely cleared out. The furniture removed, carpets pulled off, shades gone, The pictures missing from the walls.

It looked smaller.

I expected it to look bigger, but instead It just looked oddly small. I noticed stains I hadn't seen before because they were hidden under the carpet, cracks that were behind the sofas..

Walking through the empty flat was sad, It was like looking at a time gone by...an era that had passed. However, I felt myself becoming detached.

Last week when all of our belongings were still inside, I didn't want to let go. But once all the furniture was removed, the apartment lost it's magic.

Here are some before and after shots...

Our livingroom:

before:


after:




The kitchen

Before:




After:


Before:


In Germany apartments do not come with the kitchen installed. You have to buy it from the previous owner (which is what we did) and when you move you have to sell it to the next tenant. Unfortunately the next people coming in already have their own kitchen. So we had to tear it out of the wall and remove the entire kitchen from the flat. That's what it looked like afterwards...

After:


Not so pretty...

The Studio/Guest room

Before


After


The bathroom

Before:


After:


And our bedroom...



After those pictures were taken we pulled out all the cleaning supplies and wiped down the entire flat from top to bottom. The windows, the radiators and the floors. (As you can see, everything was pretty dirty , there were six additional sets of muddy feet moving through our flat to transfer everything to the curb this weekend.) It took 5 hours and it looked as new as when we first moved in.

Our landlord came and inspected the flat. He didn't seem to care much about most of the rooms. He just cared about the bathroom. He knelt down over the toilet and inspected it with a flashlight.. then he did the same with the shower. We watched him in amusement.

"It's not clean enough", He said. "Look..if you peer underneath the rubber that connects the shower doors to the base..there is some dirt..see?".

We just stared at him.

"I'm going to have to remove 160 Euros from your deposit for cleaning fees."

Whatever.

We handed in the keys, and the landlord shook our hands.

So that was it. We trekked down the stairs and saw Our neighbor, Mr. Streit for the last time. He was there glaring at some of the bags we had left at the base of the stairway. I smiled at him and he shoved past me angrily. Muttering something about "shit". Eric and I looked at each other and smiled.

I needed to see our evil neighbor one last time to remind me not EVERYTHING was perfect about living here. I definitely will not be missing our landlord OR the old neighbors.

It was sunny when we stepped out the front door. I watched it slowly close behind us..and lock shut. It was weird for a moment to think that we no longer have the keys...

Our boss was waiting for us in his car.

*****

Our belongings are on a ship heading to America. It will be held in storage there until we arrive.

This was a picture taken yesterday at the docks.

Image hosting by Photobucket



The Man who runs the shipping company took us out to eat at a restaurant called "The last stop before New York" -- it was in Bremen. The meal was amazing...

Our belongings are in good hands and insured for 5,000 Euros.

Now we're just waiting for Eric's GreenCard. (still....) and we've moved on to our next location in Germany.

Image hosting by Photobucket



But that's for another entry. It's time to leave the office and I don't have internet connection where we're living. But more on all that later. I only have 5 minutes to upload all these images and post this. This weekend I'll be able to use the internet for a longer stretch of time and catch up with everyone.

I feel like a huge weight is off my shoulders with this move behind us. It's kind of liberating to detach yourself from everything and start anew.

I'm beginning to look forward to the future and I wonder what lies around the corner...
 
posted by Clarity25 at 12:40 PM |


16 Comments:


At April 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

i'm sorry about the move. i do have to say since your pics are normally in b&w i don't think i've seen the colors in your place. i LOVED the color in the kitchen and your bedroom!!

At April 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Yay! I'm glad you're starting to look forward to the future!

At April 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

After 2 years of reading about your adventures in your German apartment, this entry was heartbreaking! I loved the pictures though. Thank you for sharing that. I have to agree with Autumn, I love the color of your kitchen! I would have never imagined that it was actually bright blue! You have a lot to look forward to in the future! Good luck!

At April 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

You lived in the Altstadt, right? I love how old the apartments are in that area! How old is the penthouse you lived in? It looks like the 1950's from the style. I can't wait to hear about where you guys are living now. Another cliff hanger:)

At April 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I'm glad you're feeling better about everything hun. And it sounds like your belongs are in good hands if the guy took you to lunch! xxx

At April 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Thank you for taking the time to post your pictures, that was really neat. It is sad reading about you leaving your old place, but you are right - it is the beginning of something new. It's time to move on. Oprah was talking about that today...moving on when you know you are done with something, someplace.

At April 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I'm kind of excited for you too Clarity. :)

At April 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I've JUST caught up on your diary. Sorry it's been so long since I commented. I'm glad you're feeling better about the move. I'm sure that good things will happen as long as you and Eric are together. All you need is love, love. Right? ♥

At April 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

The first pic in this post somehow makes me think of what is there in store for you... The big sky, the future all open and immense and bright. That kind of sky comes after dark nights... I send you both a big star hug and much love! =0)

At April 06, 2006, Blogger Kathleen 

I totally don't understand the concept of a kitchen NOT coming with the apt. How convenient is it to move to begin with, much less having to move your cabinets and cupboards!!!???

I, too, loved the colors! Thanks for sharing that with us. And Kiosh is right, your future is open and welcoming, it's just waiting for you.

It was so nice of the guy to take you to lunch. I can't imagine that happening here.

*Hugs*

At April 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

It's always nice to have that bit of nastiness over - the moving - and especially the cleaning. The landlord being all anal about the toilet made me smile. What a German:) Enjoy your "time off." I'm sure you will, you have a beuatiful ability to find the joy in the mundane and the like. I'm pulling for you:)

At April 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Im sure there is a saying about material possession and freedom and such. Im a BIG packrat so I dont actually know or follow the saying.
I know that you'll be fine no matter what curve ball life throws you because you have each other and yours is a rare relationship in this world.

Oh and for the record I would have kicked the landlord in the shins and told him that he obviously has some sort of bathroom fetish. And then I would have told the neighbor to choke on it.
160 euros to clean some dirt that no one but he can see?! argh

At April 06, 2006, Blogger Nightmare 

I knew once you took the first steps on the next adventure you'd embrace it and it wouldn't be QUITE as scary as it seemed at first!

Here is a bushel basket full of good vibes to hang on to until Eric's greencard shows up!

At April 06, 2006, Blogger jkirlin 

A stunning use of color. Like waking up from a dream. Sort of the opposite of The Wizard of Oz.

At April 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

You left your flat looking immaculate. The landlord was being an awkward bastard, just to avoid returning your deposit. Karmically, he will probably succumb to a horrid infection , but not from your toilet or shower!
I loved the shot of the wrought-iron gate- beautiful.
Have a great weekend, Clarity and Eric.

At April 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I'm glad your move went well for the most part! What a you know what of a landlord..at least you won't be dealing with him any longer! Why would it cost 160 Euro to clean up a bit of dirt? Guess its not like here where if they don't think you cleaned well enough the first time, you can go back clean some more and they reinspect. Anyway, I hope you are doing ok.. I know it must be heartbreaking, but it is a new beginning for you both! I saw this song on another diary and thought it applied so well!

Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten


*hugs* You two have a great weekend and update when you can!

Love, Jen



<body>