Friday, February 24, 2006
Ideas
When you're going through extreme stress, you're on the edge of your seat constantly, all the colors around you are more intense and you constantly wonder "Are we going to make it??"

I refuse to just lie down, give up and cry about the gravity of our situation. I will find a way out of this. I know it's going to get better.

We've been job hunting non-stop, As soon as we say that we only need a temporary job for a month or two, we're sent to the door. However, I feel guilty about lying to a potential Employer and falsely leading them to believe that we'll be around longer than we plan to. They always ask. There is nothing available at the temp office. Today we spent the morning in the city hall. We're filing for unemployment. I snapped a few photos.

That's the city hall, It's in the center of town. 10 minutes by foot from our flat. it has such a sense of history...

This is the City hall courtyard

This is the inside, that door leads to the mayor.

I love the calmness and the way your steps echo as you stroll through the foyer.

I realize I have to use some ingenuity in order to survive this next month. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.. Here are a few of the ones I received.

1. A number of people had suggested in E-mails that I should open a PayPal account and ask for donations. I know that a lot of caring friends would reach out to help, However I feel very uncomfortable about the idea of doing that. I couldn't pay you back and I have nothing to offer in return. So that idea is scratched out for me. I won't accept hand outs.

2. HeelandLass had previously suggested autioning off some of my belongings, and selling them to the highest bidder. But the question is...would anyone be willing to pay the shipping charges? It could be costly to send items overseas. So that one is kind of up in the air.

3. Ricky had suggested I sign up for Cafepress.com and sell some of my designs. A number of people agreed. So I set up shop as a lark and used an original oil painting I did of Percy in a business suit as the first design. So if any of you were hankering for a Percy mousepad, thong, mug, beer stein, or T-shirt.. You can buy it HERE. You'll be the envy of all of your friends. *Operators standing by* No, I don't expect anyone to actually do this, but it was fun (and easy) setting it up. The profits are small, but it's something. Well, at least I know my sister will buy something. She's Percy's biggest fan. :)

4. Yelayna suggested E-Bay. So I'm pulling together all of my Boxsets. (the only entertainment option for an American Overseas)

and setting up an account.

5. Autum had jokingly suggested that Eric play the trumpet on the street with a cup for change. That had me laughing. Also a viable option!

6. Vicola suggested I set up a table in the marketplace. I could sell my belongings and our artwork. The only problem with that is the required permit. But I can look into it.

7. My sister suggested I do charcoal portrait jobs to generate extra cash...The problem is finding clients independently. Most of my previous jobs came through our company and our boss received a portion of the commision. I need to advertise on my own without any connections. (Not as easy as it may sound)

8. My friend, Tara said I should set up a webcam and a paid website. Eric and I will get triple X groovy. I can always count on her to come up with the good ideas

9. And if all else fails. There is always prostitution. That's legal here in Germany.

The situation isn't entirely hopeless. We'll find a way to get through this rough patch and make it until his Green Card arrives. Thanks again for your advice, suggestions and help.
 
posted by Clarity25 at 8:27 AM |


23 Comments:


At February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

The second Eric gets his Greencard you should both go outside and jump in the air and throw your berets...because you are going to make it after all, just like Mary Tyler Moore.
I thought you were joking about the Percy thong...then I saw it. omg!
Just keep reminding yourselves that it a temporary situation and it will pass.
It will be alright.

At February 24, 2006, Blogger Kathleen 

Don't sell your boxsets!!!! I'm telling you sell the scarves! I'll make more and send them! And if you think nobody's going to buy Percy stuff, you're crazy, girlfriend!!! ;-)

HUGS!

At February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

oh yeah and if my town hall looked like that Id be arrested for loitering! That is one of the most beautiful buildings I have seen.
I know it sounds corny but when I see buildings like that my heart swells and I can just imagine what it was like when it was first built!

At February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

OMG!!! LOL!! I loved the percy store! so cool! That's a great painting!! I'm totally going to buy a "Percy journal":)

E-mail coming and Ebay is a good idea. You have a goldmine there!

At February 24, 2006, Blogger Kathleen 

I can't wait to be the first on my block with a Percy t-shirt!

At February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I know you are a sweetheart, but I honestly feel that we are blessed with material things not to enjoy them, but then we get the added blessing of helping others with them. Well, some people don't do that part as much as they should... but some of us do. The gift is not in the getting back of what you gave, but in the good karma that comes from doing whtat you should. So dagnabit, set up a paypal count and let some people get good karma!! I've been blessed out of some tight spots and I'm so grateful for opportunies to give back. Think about it - please????

At February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

The percy thong is just so wrong. Oh and that rhymed. Awesome. Yeah, I know the profit marggin there at cafepress is a little low but you can always jack it up.. :)

At February 24, 2006, Blogger Nightmare 

I am so shopping at the Clarity store! I think that Percy Thong will look great on me! Does it come in a 3XL?

At February 24, 2006, Blogger Kathleen 

Okay, I'll "let" you (because I'm nice like that) sell the boxsets that you're never going to watch again. That makes perfect sense. ;-)

I don't blame you for not selling the scarves. That's why I bought Percy stuff! ;-)

Melissa - I can knit you a scarf and you just send the money to Clarity because she's my agent. ;-)

At February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

AAAAH!! THE PERCY THONG! I was in stitches, I couldn't believe it! I'm gonna stick that "Percy for President" bumper sticker on the back my van. Anything is better than GWB right now.

At February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I thought the thong was a joke too! Hahah. Seriously though. You should definitely upload more photos of your work. I really think you have something there.

I know you don't want a paypal account for handouts BUT if you do eBay I'd suggest getting one for that. It's so much easier. But maybe you already know that, huh?

And, you shouldn't think of it as handouts. If the roles were reversed and YOU had extra money and a friend was in need, you wouldn't hesitate to empty your pockets for them. I know you wouldn't. You have a big heart and you have been so kind to other people. Let us help you! That said, I do understand where you're coming from.

I loved all the pictures, I wish we had buildings that gorgeous around here! ♥

At February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Hahaha...I like the XXX website idea. Avocado always says that we should do that, except wear masks so nobody recognizes us. Uhhh, OK. What about my tattoos? LOL. Do you have anything similar to consignment shops over there where you could put clothes or other items on consignment? I do that sometimes w/clothes I don't wear anymore, to get extra money.

At February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Hey! Color pictures. That is a nice change and the color really brings out a different character in the beautiful architecture.

At February 24, 2006, Blogger MamaKBear 

Hey I see a couple of your box sets I'd like to have, especially if you have Season 1 of Friends..that's the only one I need on DVD to complete my collection.

Be sure to let me know your ebay seller name and I'll check you out for sure!

At February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

i love the courthouse pictures. amazing!

secondly, the percy store is awesoem. i am so going to shop, but i still can't make up my mind. so i want a percy t-shirt to wear here at school? (i have one with a pig laughing on it that the kids love, this would be a nice addition to the collection.) or do i get a percy tank to wear as a converstaion piece on the golf course. or a percy mug for my coffee here at work? maybe all three! that is a great idea!

At February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I know you feel guilty to not say it's just a temporary job but we do what we have to do. I suffered last year looking for a summer job. There were one or two jobs I would have gotten if I had just neglected to tell them I was going back to school in September. It was awful. So after school ended this year, and I had two months before my boyfriend would be coming to my graduation, I went for an interview as a chambermaid, and as guilty as I felt, I knew I had to do what I had to do. So I worked there for about a month and a bit, and it turned out well because they had lots of staff, so it wasn't too bad when I gave in my notice. The hardest was leaving such nice co workers. So don't mention it's only temporary. I would recommend chambermaiding if you don't mind. At least it's good exercise. Thinking of you! Germany did so well in the Olympics! It helps it's so cold there ;)

At February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

(after I finished reading your entire entry) Ohmigod I want a Percy lightswitch cover! That's hilarious :D

At February 24, 2006, Blogger Stacia 

Even though I'm not currently speaking to Andrea, I e-mailed her the link for the Percy stuff. She has 2 pugs and refers to them as her children. Who knows, maybe she'll order something. Good luck!

At February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Uhhh... okay. Now that I'm through twitching at the thought of watching you and Eric get "groovy" (sorry, that's just icky to think of ANY of my friends like that)...

*shudder* blargh!!!!!! okay, i think I'm done.

Love the CafePress store. Need another design to choose from though :) Not that I don't like the Men In Black Percy. <3 How about a flower or something? A political statement? ...if you want help formatting those images for CafePress, I have the experience and the time to do both.

At February 25, 2006, Blogger MJW 

Hello. I know I've been a stranger here for a while (all sorts of pitiful excuses for that), but I simply must offer you my suggestion for earning some extra cash (maybe even significantly extra cash). I strongly suspect that you would have no shortage of DiaryLand and Blogger customers in this venture. Furthermore, most of them would probably be glad to spread the "word" to their many readers, too (as well as to their friends and family members).

I shall present my idea in the form of an advertisement (please forgive the very, very rough-draft quality):

-----

Dear reader,

Clarity Studios is proud to offer the following deal for your consideration:

Please send me (via email) your favorite photograph (or photographs) of yourself, your spouse, your child(ren), your parent(s), your sibling(s), your pet(s) or any combination thereof. I will then translate them onto the canvas/paper size of your choice (sizes listed below).

Prices depend on canvas size and start as "low" as $_____ (see price list for full details).

If images of people are not an option, then you may instead send me a photograph of your favorite local nature scene or cityscape. If neither of those options interests you, then you are welcome to describe an imaginary scene that interests you (for example, check out the samples of my vintage "pinup" art on page 2).

For a limited time, and for a "mere" doubling of the cost, you will also receive Eric's very own interpretation of the same photograph (or photographs). Just imagine our works hanging side by side on a wall in your home -- or in the home of one or more your family members. Think of the investment value/family heirloom value these photographs will hold for your children, grandchildren or great-grandchildren.

Optional: Eric will also create his own unique fantasy art, too, if you so desire.

You may already have concluded that these works would make wonderful gifts. In fact, you are welcome to send me as many as three photographs at a time. However, just in case business is booming here at Clarity Studios, I suggest that you rank your photographs in order of importance.

For the next year or ten, if you order three or more paintings, you will receive a special discount rate of __ percent.

Naturally, every work of art will be signed and dated.

P.S. Please send me only tasteful photographs. Also, please send photographs that are large enough for me to see the finer details of each individual's face.

-----

Clarity, this is something you might consider doing even after you have returned to the States. It might even turn into a full-time business, which could be a good thing if you someday have children.

Final note: If the above is less practical than it seems, you would probably make a lot of money selling nothing but vintage pinup art, especially if you offer it in such a size as 24 x 36.

At February 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Let me know if you want to sell the boxset of 007. By the way there is a "Flohmarkt" every saturday at the university. Registration is 5 Euros. I did that last year, it was worth it (really, people buy everything!!).

At February 28, 2006, Blogger Kathleen 

Nice idea from Mr. Welfl...

My Percy raglan is on its way - I can't wait!!!

At February 28, 2006, Blogger warcrygirl 

I'd be happy to pay for a charcoal portrait. You'd have to copy it from a photograph though. I was going to wait until you got back to the States but I didn't anticipate Eric not getting his Green Card. Just say the word!



<body>