Thursday, February 09, 2006
The Brothers Grimm
It's amazing how many things can change in only three weeks. Relationships, perspectives and opinions...

When I returned to Germany, I discovered that my good friend, Angie had moved away to another town. Our friends, K. and Peter were in entirely new relationships and we had a new neighbor that just moved below us.

This morning it began to snow. The weather was overcast, dark, wet and cold. There was an underlying melancholy that's difficult to describe






These shots were taken during our walk into town. Eric needed to take yet another passport photo for his Green card application. The entire procedure was once again on hold because apparently the photo we supplied was inadequate: "His hair can NOT cover his ears"

I'm beginning to fear we'll be trapped in Europe forever.

****

Last night after work I was in a low place. I felt stress, worry and concern over a situation out of my control. I sat on the sofa feeling lost and saddened. Eric suggested we go rent a film and have a few drinks .

We ended up with "The Brothers Grimm" and a bottle of Tequila. I thought it would be a pleasant fairytale film. I was surprised to discover it was rather dark, disturbing and obscure. However, It made me want to read the real versions of the fairytales I grew up with.

We went to this site and read the translated collection of Brother's Grimms tales. Many of them had more violence, crudity, Christian undertones and freudian meanings than the ones I read as a child. Some just strange, Like this one. I read a number of fairytales outloud to Eric as he lay on the sofa beside me.

The last one I read was Little Red Cap (little Red Riding Hood)

"Oh, grandmother, what big ears you have!"

"All the better to hear you with....."


What was interesting about this version, was that Little Red Riding Hood was saved by a huntsman that cut open the wolf's stomach. The one I remember just consisted of her being eaten and that's it. It was a warning against trusting strangers. But in the original Grimm tale, not only is she saved... But she learns from it and the next time a wolf came along, she wasn't fooled.

I read the final line to Eric. "....And Little Red Cap returned home happily, and no one harmed her. The End", I smiled and said to Eric "Was that the version you remembered?...Eric?"

When I turned to him, I saw that he had fallen asleep in the middle of the fairytale. He looked so peaceful and I was just filled with so much love for him.


I gently kissed him awake and the two of us went to bed.
 
posted by Clarity25 at 12:46 PM |


9 Comments:


At February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

What a sweet portrait of Eric! You are right about the fairy tales by Grimm bros being dark! I had a book of Grimm's fairy tales when I was wee, and some of them were scary! In fact, I still have it. i'll post a pic of it on my Flickr site soon,(bootpainter) along with other old favourites from my books... PS look for book by Angela Carter, who wrote an updated Red Riding Hood story, which was made into a film- wonderful stuff! Wonderful writer, too.

At February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Weirdly enough I grew up with the original grimm tales. I was never read them before bed but used to read them in the day time by myself all the time.
Those Grimm brothers obviously had some issues!
Every now and then Ill ask J to tell me a bedtime story. He usually includes the cat and dog in them and we always live happily ever after.

We have the Brothers Grimm waiting for us to watch on our xbox maybe Ill pick up a bottle of booze to go with it(not tequila unless its being made into a margarita.)

At February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

That's such a sweet picture at the end of the entry. I know what you mean about Brothers Grimm. The original stories are very different from the ones in the modern children fairytale books!

At February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Lovely writing and your pictures are gorgeous as usual.
Good luck with the Green Card!

At February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Awww how cute that he fell asleep on you! :) The version of Little Red Riding Hood that I remember ended with the hunter cutting the girl out while the wolf slept. Then he filled the wolf's stomach with stones and the hunter and the girl got away. I always loved the Grimm's fairy tales but I have reservations about reading them to Riley. Now that I'm older they seem rather... well, grim. ;) I have my collection of them stores at my mother's, I'll have to grab them the next time I'm over there! ♥

At February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I'm on the road for like 3 weeks and next thing I know, you're over here. What happened? Did I miss a memo?

At February 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

I love Brothers Grimm fairytales. Those are beautiful shots of Germany. P.S. Did you get my E-mail?

At February 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Smooches to you Clarity. Thanks for your note. I knew you'd understand what I was on about on some level or another! I keep forgetting about this flipping diary. I'm going to have to join your list. Is that it with Dland? I'm feeling much better now that I've written all of my stuff out and had some feedback from people. Which is, of course, exactly why I need to open up more often! Speak to you soon. I'll be 'on' tonight if you're around xxxxxxxxx

At February 16, 2006, Blogger Kathleen 

I have a book with the original Grimm fairytales in it, but don't think I've ever read them. Although like Jenn that is the version of Little Red Riding Hood that I know - right down the rocks in the stomach. Although I remember the Wolf trying to chase LRRH and drowning in a body of water - but that could be my own sick brain coming through.



<body>