Saturday, January 14, 2006
The Dome of Cologne *Dom of Koln*


This morning we woke up early, had breakfast and headed out to see the Old part of Cologne. Our first stop was the famous Dome Of Cologne.

For 2 Euros, you have access to a never-ending winding narrow staircase leading to the very top of the dome. The higher you got, the more worn the stairway became and more dangerous. It became windy and precarious. I felt an extreme feeling of fear of heights everytime I peered out the small windows along the sides of the steeples and saw the view. People were coming down the stairway as well, and their weight caused me to stumble a few times. I held on to the sides of the walls. Part of the way up was the bell tower..


Then we reached another room with high ceilings...

It was so cold and windy...

This was the view from the very top of the Dome. It was breathtaking...

Afterwards we strolled through the town, looking at the old houses dating back to the 1500's..


We went into one old cafe called "The Lowenbrau" for cake and coffee..

Then we headed back to his Aunt's house and she took us out to the most fancy five star restaurant I've ever been to in my entire life. Eric and I had Chatuau Briand.


Once we returned, I said a heartfelt goodbye to Eric's Aunt and I fell alseep..

I knew I had to be up at 2:30 A.M. To catch a train to the Airport and fly to New York.
 
posted by Clarity25 at 7:27 AM |


4 Comments:


At January 17, 2006, Blogger Stacia 

I think when I was there we counted 485 stairs. And you're right, they're very narrow and very scary.

At January 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

pastel houses! dear goodness!

At January 19, 2006, Blogger Kathleen 

Chateaubriand? You? Hmmmm... ;-)

2 Euros? I so would have done it. Very cool. And if you think that was scary, you need to climb the pyramid at Teotihuacan - no wall to cling to!!! But so worth it to know that you're on top of something a thousand years old.

At January 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous 

Hi, I found this through Heeland Lass's comments. I visited the dome as well. I wish I could recall more of the experience, because it's been 11 years, but I do recall those stairs. I don't know how I made it to the top without passing out in clausterphobic panic. Nice journal, by the way. It's good to know that you haven't completely disappeared from the net waves.



<body>